Monday 7 June 2010

 Harmony the Cat and Me


Harmony who, at the grand old age of 19 and a bit, is preparing to shuffle off her mortal coil and depart for cat heaven. She was diagnosed as diabetic and given a few months to live way back in December 2005. Over the last couple of months she has gradually stopped eating until in the last couple of days it has become apparent she is preparing to leave. 


Once a great hunter of mice and rabbits she had given up hunting due to the arthritis in her back legs and had turned from being an independent outdoors country cat into a very cuddly fireside loving puss.

Fortunately the weather has been very warm and sunny for the last couple of weeks and she has enjoyed many hours lying in the sun or under the shade of her favourite bushes in our large garden. Life will not be the same without Harmony to get me up in the morning to feed her Watching the TV in the evening without her lying on the settee between my wife and myself will feel rather empty for a while I am sure. 


Harmony came to stay with us when she was 3 years old and was originally my daughters cat. We took her in little knowing it would be for so long and that we would end up becoming carers for a grand old lady who ended up on a special diet and a need for regular medication.


I marvel at the dignity and apparent non attachment she is showing to the approaching end of the long and, I would like to think, very happy life she has spent. It never ceases to amaze me how little we modern humans know of the world we live in. I thank Harmony for all I have discovered of life through the eyes of a cat and how well I know the hidden corners of the garden where I have spent many happy hours watching her going about her cat business. 


Thank you Harmony for sharing your life with me and I wish you a safe onward journey.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment